44 Discover Durant 2018 Call today at 1-800-924-4427 Serving you from 7 locations in Bryan County DURANT 1400 W. Main • 580-924-2211 2025 W. University • 580-924-9300 1410 N. 1st Street • 580-931-0643 3712 W. Main • 580-931-2950 (inside Wal-Mart) BOKCHITO 102 W. Main • 580-295-3393 CALERA 601 N. Service Rd. • 580-434-5000 COLBERT 101 Burney St. • 580-296-2164 Banking :: Mortgage :: Insurance :: Wealth Management BANKING 60711498 History of Bryan County Colbert The area was settled in 1846 by the family of Benjamin Colbert. He established farms, ranches, a grist mill and cotton gin. He established the first steam-driven sawmill in the area. Since the Colbert fami- ly owned everything, people began to refer to the area as Colbert. The family began a ferry business across the Red River called “Colbert’s Ferry.” A post office was established Nov. 17, 1853. Colbert is continuing to grow. It has a Dollar General and construction is expected to begin soon on a $6 million Love’s Travel Stop that will in- clude two fast-food restaurants. The town has an active chamber of commerce that meets month- ly. Officials say the economic growth in Durant is creating a ripple effect for Colbert and that growth from the Dallas, Texas, area continues to head north. Diamond The development was pure land speculation by W.D. and Ethel Diamond, who bought land allotted to Marie Jane Ady, a Choctaw native, seven miles north of Durant near the Blue River. They filed claim on Jan. 10. 1910. The Diamonds believed the M. O. & G. Railroad would build a depot on this spot. It never materialized. Although a post office was established June 25, 1910, it closed two years later on June 30, 1912. The town was abandoned and the land returned to agricultural use. Kemp Likewise, the community of Kemp was named after another prominent Native American family, particularly Jackson Kemp, who acted as an inter- preter for the Chickasaws in Alabama and, when removed to Indian territory, became a local leader. Originally the commu- nity was called Warner Springs. A post office was established on Oct. 20, 1890. Matoy Nestled in the northeast corner of Bryan County, Matoy is pretty much a memory now. Settled by early pioneer families like the Folsoms and James- es, the once-vital community received its name from Mary Abigail (Folsom, James) Matoy. William M. Matoy was a Cher- okee who, after the Civil War, traveled to the area and went to work for Mary Abigail James, a widow. Later they married. A post office was established in 1901 but was later closed in 1921. Mead In 1890, C.W. Meade moved to the community of Double Springs, just west of Durant. He opened a general store, and became the first postmaster. It was decided to call the post office, “Meade,” after its master, a common practice of the day. Later on the “e” was dropped from the name. It opened on April 10, 1894. Nail’s Crossing This is another old communi- ty that has all but disappeared. The crossing was located near Kenefic on the Blue River and named for J. H. Nail and his son, Oscar, who owned and operat- ed a stable for changing horse teams of the Butterfield Stage Line. Roberta The community of Roberta received its name due to poor penmanship. As was the cus- tom, when the first post office opened, it was to be named after the first postmaster, James Roberts. However, federal officials could not properly read the name and thought the “s” on the end of Roberts was an “a.” Thus, the post office of Roberta opened on March 23, 1893. Silo Like Nail’s Crossing, Silo got its start as a stop along the But- terfield Stage Line. And, again, as was the custom of the day, the community was named after its first postmaster, Albert B. “Silo” Gates. It was established on Nov. 4, 1893 and closed on Jan 31, 1946. Utica Named after Utica, N. Y., the community’s post office opened on Feb. 14, 1894.